Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Displaying MeMaw's Quilts

These are two of my MeMaw's handmade quilts. These are heirlooms that will be passed down to my boys one day. I have a cedar chest full of her quilts. These were once displays on my cherry quilt rack, BUT a few months during a housecleaning accident.....I broke one of the legs off my beloved quilt rack! boo hoo....... So today, I had a BraInStorm! I love being surrounded by mentos that once belonged to loved ones. I placed two of her quilts on the rocker. The rocker was handmade by my husband great- great-uncle many many years ago. I have had it for about 15 years. The Ragdy Ann doll was mine as a child. Bless her heart....I thought she needed some make-up I guess, so I colored her with crayons! The handmade bonnet is MeMaw too. She NEVER worked outside in the yard/garden unless she had on a long sleeve shirt and a bonnet. The quilt in the seat of the rocker is the Double Wedding Ring pattern. This quilt is the first quilt she ever worked on in the late 1930's. I think she said 1937. She and my great-grandmother pieced this quilt. I do not know the other pattern. As a wedding present 15 years ago, she pieced us the Love Knot patterned quilt. We have slept under this quilt ever since. My MeMaw passed away in April 2010. I wish more than anything that she had taught me how to quilt. I have her quilting patterns BUT not her skills!

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful quilts and wonderful memories! I love the way you've displayed them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoyed your visit....please come back soon. Wishing you many blessings!
Tonya